I suggest you ...

Calculate avg. residence time required for particle traces released in one surface to reach another. Provide histogram of time distribution.

Create a macro to calculate the mass-averaged residence time required for particle traces released in one user defined plane or surface to reach another user defined plane or surface. Also provide a histogram of the time distribution of the particles as a percentage of total mass flow.

27 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Chris TwardochlebChris Twardochleb shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  AndersAdminAnders (President, CEI) responded  · 

Since the particle traces are not stored on the EnSight server (they are computed there and sent to the client) you can not apply many computational tasks to the traces.

Similar questions have come up from several customers (i.e., regarding computing various statistics for the traces). Accordingly we have created a python tool which pushes the trace and variable information back to a server. Once it can be read on a server there are a number of things that can be computed. We have some training materials (along with the python code) that covers this subject. We know this is not ultimately what our customers want – but it’s a way to (a) get results today with the current release, (b) understand better what users which to compute on the traces and allows us to gather that feedback.

If you are interested in taking a look at the types of things you can compute with the python tool let me know and I’ll have someone put together a on-line tutorial as a good starting point.

2 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • FlorianFlorian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hallo,
        is there any chance to get information or this on-line tutorial on this pyhton script.
        I would love to see this idea to be available in Ensight :)

Thanks in advance,
        florian

• FlorianFlorian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello,
        the idea proposed by Chris would be great to have available in Ensight since we need to do
        such calculations quite frequently.
        Is there any chance to get information or this on-line tutorial about the python script?
        Would be great!
        Thanks a lot in advance!

Feedback and Knowledge Base